Just Helicopters

Mountain Ridge Helicopters Helicopter Flight Training Higher Ground Helicopters Flight Academy Ocean ColoHeliops 702 Helicopters Helicopter Flight Training

Mountain Ridge Helicopters Helicopter Flight Training Higher Ground Helicopters Flight Academy Ocean ColoHeliops 702 Helicopters Helicopter Flight Training

Subject: working in Canada
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Author Messages
okaw916User is Offline
JH Newbie
JH Newbie

08/23/2013 9:11 PM  
I will be going to Canada to work for my US based company. I am a US residnet. Does anyone here know of an accountant that is well versed in the tax laws that would pertain to this particular situation? Thanks
boatpixUser is Offline
JH Master Guru
JH Master Guru

11/06/2013 12:41 AM  
Any CPA should be able to help you with this.
pilot135pdUser is Offline
JH - Addicted!
JH - Addicted!

11/06/2013 1:11 AM  
Been there, done that. As a US citizen you'll pay US taxes no matter where in the world you earn your money. You might have some exclusions that will make most or maybe even all tax free but it'll depend on a lot of things so get your self a CPA.

I agree that any competent CPA should be able to take care of that for you. If you're still inclined to research it you can start here : http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion

I learned as much as I could before I went CPA hunting and found out that like pilots and attorneys and doctors, not all CPAs are alike. When you go armed with information you can quickly see who knows and who's blowing smoke.


Self discipline is when you do something that you know is right even though you don't want to do it. As a professional and safe pilot you have to maintain control over your desires & emotions. Have INTEGRITY and great WORK ETHIC and you'll succeed in life.
chispasUser is Offline
JH Member
JH Member

11/27/2013 5:16 PM  

Turbo tax has served me well when working overseas.


8675309User is Offline
JH Newbie
JH Newbie

03/12/2014 8:53 PM  
I see this thread is old, but here ya go;
Been working overseas for the last several years and I second the Turbotax. It takes just a bit of time, but it's straightforward to fill out. This tax year I made a bit more salary than usual and saw an expat accountant where I live - just to proof check my returns, everything was in order. In fact he stated that they use a program similar to Turbotax when filling out client's returns. 'twas glad to hear that, 'cause I'll be back to the US eventually and don't want any troubles.
But you want to know all the info before you start working there, so as you can take advantage of tax savings, a good place to start is IRS Form 2555. Good luck.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

ActiveForums 3.7

Thousands of helicopter professionals from 160+ countries "worldwide" visit JustHelicopters.com every day, making it the Helicopter Industry's #1 Online Resource! Whether a Helicopter Pilot, Helicopter Student, Helicopter Mechanic, Employer, Helicopter Flight School, Helicopter Business, or an enthusiast, JustHelicopters.com has something for you.

© Copyright 2000–2012 Justhelicopters.com

Terms Of Use

Sign In


Password Assistance

Enter your account user name and click "Send Email".
A temporary password reset link will be emailed to you.

JustHelicopters.com User Registration

Your registration may be used to sign in to these sites:
JustHelicopters.com, VerticalReference.com and JustHelicopters.tv